A transcript is an official record of your academic history at York. It is a comprehensive summary of your course enrolment, the grades you earned and sessional academic decisions (e.g. "May proceed in Honours"). Transcripts are typically required when you are applying to another postsecondary program (e.g. graduate school); in addition, a potential employer, government agency or insurance company may ask you for a transcript in order to authenticate your complete record at York. If a third-party (e.g. prospective employer) only needs to verify the completion of your degree, you may direct them to our online degree verification service, YU Verify.
You may request to have a transcript sent directly to a third party or you may request a personal copy of your transcript that will be stamped “Issued to Student” and placed in a sealed envelope. Please note that third parties may not accept transcripts “Issued to Student”. Check with your intended recipient before ordering your transcript. If you request a transcript “Issued to Student” and your third party does not accept it, you will be responsible for re-ordering another transcript.
NOTE: York University adheres to the Association of Registrars of the Universities and Colleges of Canada (ARUCC) national transcript guidelines for post-secondary institutions. For more information on these standards, please visit https://guide.pccat.arucc.ca/en/transcript-standards.html.
Please read all of this information to ensure that your transcript order is processed correctly.
1. Through OUAC
If you are applying to an Ontario university, we strongly encourage you to apply through OUAC (Ontario Universities’ Application Centre). Transcript requests received through these services will continue to be processed remotely on a daily basis and in a timely fashion. You can check the OUAC website for the status of your request.
2. Digital Transcript (password protected)
York University does not currently have a digitized version of an official transcript. Due to COVID- 19 we are providing a non-printable pdf transcript PDF copy of your transcript to recognized institutions which is nonprintable. Please note: this PDF transcript differs from an official transcript which is printed, as both the signatory as well as logos are not present.
There are two types of digital emailed transcripts:
(a) “Issued by University” deemed official by many Canadian colleges and universities, who are temporarily accepting digital PDF transcripts that are received directly from another institution's administrative account through secure transmission. To request your “issued by university” transcript to be sent to a recognized institution, submit the Online Transcript Request.
- It may take up to 3 business days to complete this request.
- Please select “regular mail” for it to send as email and
- Indicate in the “ATTENTION” field an EMAIL address of the institution to where the transcript will be sent.
(b) Unofficial personalized version – A copy of your personalized transcript will be sent to the email listed on their student account. To submit your request, fill out the Unofficial Transcript Request - Winter 2021 form.
- It may take up to 10 business days to process your request.
- Starting May 16, 2021 students who had previously ordered an unofficial transcript may now submit one for Winter 2021 (please note: once you have requested an unofficial transcript, the next time you will be able to order is September 2021).
- Please note: This is not your official transcript. Information displayed on your personalized version will differ from what is printed on your official transcript (as an example: class average does not appear on this personalized version). Should you require an official printed copy of your transcript, please use the option #3 below.
- Grade report legends by Faculty can be found here.
3. Printed Transcripts
Requests for “Printed Transcripts” will be mailed to institutions when an address instead of a recognized institutional email is provided. To request your printed transcript, submit the Online Transcript Request. Note:
- Transcripts are printed
oncea week and maytake up to 7 days from initial order to be mailed.
- Please indicate a mailing address with your request attention: Printed transcripts are mailed through either regular mail or by courier.
- ****Please note: We cannot guarantee the time regular mail delivery will take. If transcripts sent to a Canadian institution have not been received after 21 days or one sent to a U.S or International institution have not been received after 30 days, please contact us.
Do you have a Document to Accompany Your Transcript?
If you have a form or document that must accompany your transcript, note that there is an additional $25 fee. Please make sure to submit your document here.
You can order your transcript online if you are:
- an undergraduate student (except those from Osgoode Hall Law School) who has taken a course at the
- University from 1982 to the present;
- an Osgoode Hall Law School student who has taken a course from 1992 to the present; or
- a graduate student who has registered for a session from 1982 to the present.
|If you are...||You Should...|
|A student who wishes to attach an external document (e.g. application form or status verification) to their transcript. Note: there is an additional $25 fee.||Contact Ask a Transcript Question.|
|A graduate or undergraduate student who completed their studies prior to 1982.||Contact Ask a Transcript Question.|
|An Osgoode Hall Law School student who completed their studies prior to 1992.||Order through Osgoode Law School|
|A Faculty of Education student who took Additional Qualification (AQ) courses after 1993.||Visit the Faculty of Education website.|
|Student who wants a record of courses taken at the York University English Language Institute (YUELI).||Visit 035 Founders College; phone 416-736-5353.|
|A student who wants a record of courses taken at the School of Continuing Studies.||Visit the School of Continuing Studies website.|
|A student who wants a record of courses taken at the Schulich Executive Education Centre.||Fax a written request to 416-736-5689.|
|A graduate student ordering a transcript for Tri-council or other graduate scholarship purposes.||Submit your request through the Faculty of Graduate Studies Transcript Request page.|
|An international student requiring a transcript for immigration purposes and is uncertain about your document needs.||Contact York International at email@example.com.|
Please note: Once you have submitted your transcript order, you will not be able to cancel it or request a refund of your payment.
Ordering an Official Transcript Issued by University and sent to a third party by email
Submit an Online Transcript Request.
- Select “regular mail”, even though it will be sent by email; and
- Indicate in the attention field the email address of the institution to which the transcript should be sent.
Ordering a Printed TranscriptSubmit an Online Transcript Request.
- Indicate the institutional mailing address with your request.
- Transcripts are printed once a week and may take up to seven (7) days from initial order to be
mailed. Printed transcripts are mailed through either regular mail or by courier.
- Please note: We cannot guarantee regular mail delivery time. Should your transcript not be received by the institution within Canada after 21 days or to the U.S. or other International destination after 30 days we can resend it if you request so through this Ask a Transcript Question form.
Ordering multiple copies of your transcript
Please submit a separate request for each mailing address where you want the transcript sent.
*Processing times may be longer during peak request period (typically May/June and September to January.) Processing times pertain to York University processing only and do not include delivery time or processing by the receiving institution. York University is not responsible for transcripts lost or delayed in the mail.
If you do not remember your Passport York username or password:
- You can reset your Passport York username or password using one of the options provided on the Passport York Password Reset web page.
If you do not remember your York Student Number:
- If you are currently enrolled and registered at York, please submit a request through the Ask a Transcript Question form. You will be required to present your government-issued photo identification upon request.
- If you are a student who is not currently enrolled and registered at York, you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org or send an e-mail to email@example.com with a legible, scanned attachment of a government-issued photo identification (e.g. passport, driver's license, age of majority card etc.). Please ensure your e-mail indicates that you are requesting your York Student Number for a transcript order, along with the answers to the following questions so we can authenticate your identity:
- your date of birth
- your mailing address while you were last at York
- your most recent academic program
- the years you attended York
If you are not able to use the online system or are still waiting on your transcript request and are unsure why? Please send us a quick note through this Ask a Transcript Question form.
Timing Your Transcript Request Correctly
- Make sure that you request your transcript when you need it, and not before.
- Check your online grade report (fall/winter - summer) to make sure all the information you need is on your transcript including any expected grades, grade changes or petition results.
- If you choose to have your transcript produced "Immediately" before all your grades are released or before your degree has been conferred, your transcript may not satisfy its recipient and you will be responsible for the charges associated with re-ordering another transcript.
- If you request to have your transcript produced after grades are released (i.e. on hold), please note that, even though all your grades may have been incrementally added to your record, your transcript will not be released until mid January for fall term grades, mid May for winter term grades and mid September for summer term grades.
- Grades for students from Osgoode Hall Law School and the Faculty of Education are traditionally released later than other Faculties. Students from these Faculties who request to hold their transcript request until grades are released, should select their appropriate Faculty from the delivery date drop-down menu (online request) or checkbox (paper request form).
- If you are planning to graduate and require your transcript to reflect that your degree has been conferred, please refer to the timelines before submitting your request to ensure that your degree conferral will appear on your transcript.
Graduate and Undergraduate Transcripts
- An Academic Transcript is a comprehensive summary of all academic milestones completed at York University. Graduate students should note that transcripts will include all graduate and undergraduate studies completed at York.
Transcripts “Issued to Student"
- Transcripts “Issued to Student” are stamped as such and placed in a sealed envelope.
- Third parties may not accept these transcripts for official purposes. Check with your intended recipient before ordering your transcript. Most transcripts created for official purposes are sent directly from York to the third party.
- If you request a transcript “Issued to Student” and your third party does not accept it, you are responsible for a new chargeable transcript order.
- Multiple “Issued to Student” transcripts being mailed to your home or on-campus address will arrive in separately sealed envelopes.
Outstanding Fees or Fines
- In accordance with Senate policy, transcripts will not be issued to a student who has an outstanding financial account with the University.