Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the closure of York University campus buildings, we have temporarily suspended on-site printing of official transcripts. Transcript request processing time varies (and may be longer than normal), please refer below for further details.
International Students: Do have questions regarding transcripts? For immigration requests, please connect with York International email@example.com if you are unsure about your documents needs.
You can make the following requests:
- Through OUAC
If you are applying to an Ontario university, we strongly encourage you to apply through OUAC (Ontario Universities’ Application Centre). Transcript requests received through these services will continue to be processed remotely on a daily basis and in a timely fashion. You can check the OUAC website for the status of your request.
- Digital Transcript
York University does not currently have a digitized version of an official transcript. Due to COVID- 19 we are providing a PDF copy of your transcript to recognized institutions. Please note: this PDF transcript differs from an official transcript which is printed, as both the signatory as well as logos are not present.
There are two types of digital transcripts:
(a) “Issued by University” deemed official by many Canadian colleges and universities, who are temporarily accepting digital transcripts that are received directly from another institution's administrative account through secure transmission. To request your “issued by university” transcript to be sent to a recognized institution, submit the Online Transcript Request. Note:
- It may take up to 4 business days to complete this request.
- Do not submit "issued to student" transcript requests at this time – as your request will be not be processed.
- Please select “regular mail”.
- Please indicate in the attention field an email address of the institution to where the transcript will be sent.
(b) Unofficial personalized version – A copy of your personalized transcript will be sent to the email listed on their student account to check this click here. To submit your request, fill out the Unofficial Transcript Request - Fall 2020-21 form.
- It may take up to 10 business days to process your request.
- Starting October 1, 2020 students who had previously ordered an unofficial transcript may now submit one for Fall/Winter 2020-21 (please note: once you have requested an unofficial transcript for Fall/Winter 2020-21, the next time you will be able to order is February 2021).
For questions not addressed above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow up to 10 business days for a response.
A transcript is an official record of your academic history at York. It is a comprehensive summary of your course enrolment, the grades you earned and sessional academic decisions (e.g. "May proceed in Honours"). Transcripts are typically required when you are applying to another postsecondary program (e.g. graduate school); in addition, a potential employer, government agency or insurance company may ask you for a transcript in order to authenticate your complete record at York. If a third-party (e.g. prospective employer) only needs to verify the completion of your degree, you may direct them to our online degree verification service, YU Verify.
You may request to have a transcript sent directly to a third party or you may request a personal copy of your transcript that will be stamped “Issued to Student” and placed in a sealed envelope. Please note that third parties may not accept transcripts “Issued to Student”. Check with your intended recipient before ordering your transcript. If you request a transcript “Issued to Student” and your third party does not accept it, you will be responsible for re-ordering another transcript.
NOTE: York University adheres to the Association of Registrars of the Universities and Colleges of Canada (ARUCC) national transcript guidelines for post-secondary institutions. For more information on these standards, please visit https://guide.pccat.arucc.ca/en/transcript-standards.html.
Please read all of this information to ensure that your transcript order is processed correctly.
Who can order transcripts online?
- Any undergraduate student (except those from Osgoode Hall Law School) who has taken a course at the University from 1982 to the present.
- Any Osgoode Hall Law School student who has taken a course from 1992 to the present.
- Any graduate student who has registered for a session from 1982 to the present.
- If you are not eligible to order transcripts online, please read the information below.
How do I order a transcript online?
- Click on the button below; you will require your Passport York username and password.
- Passport York allows the University to ensure that only you have access to ordering your transcripts; it is used as your electronic signature to authorize the order.
What if I do not remember my Passport York username or password?
- You can reset your Passport York unsername or password using one of the options provided on the Passport York Password Reset web page.
What if I do not remember my York Student Number?
- If you are currently enrolled and registered at York, you must present your government-issued photo identification (e.g. passport, drivers license, age of majority card etc.) in person at Registrarial Services in the Bennett Centre for Student Services.
- If you are a student who is not currently enrolled and registered at York, you may present your identification in person (see above) or send an e-mail to email@example.com with a legible, scanned attachment of a government-issued photo identification (e.g. passport, drivers license, age of majority card etc.). Please ensure your e-mail indicates that you are requesting your York Student Number for a transcript order, along with the answers to the following questions so we can authenticate your identity:
- date of birth
- your mailing address while you were last at York
- your most recent academic program
- the years you attended York
|If you are a...||What to do?|
|Student who wish to attach an external document (e.g. application form or status verification) to their transcript. Note: there is an additional $25 fee.||To order your transcript, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.|
|Graduate or undergraduate student who completed their studies prior to 1982.|
|Osgoode Hall Law School student who completed their studies prior to 1992.||Order through Osgoode Law School|
|Faculty of Education student who took Additional Qualification (AQ) courses after 1993.||Visit the Faculty of Education website.|
|Student who wants a record of courses taken at the York University English Language Institute (YUELI).||Visit 035 Founders College; tel. 416-736-5353.|
|Student who wants a record of courses taken at the Division of Continuing Studies.||Visit the Division of Continuing Studies website.|
|Student who wants a record of courses taken at the Schulich Executive Education Centre.||Fax a written request to 416-736-5689.|
Cost and Payment
- Effective July 2, 2013 the cost for an undergraduate or graduate transcript is $15 per copy.
- If you have a form or document that must accompany your transcript, note that there is an additional $25 fee. Please make sure to submit your document with the Transcript Request Form found in Alternative Order Methods.
- To order transcripts online (or any alternative method other than in-person) you must have a valid Visa or MasterCard. When paying by credit card, you must include your name, the type of credit card (Visa or MasterCard), the credit card number and the card's expiry date.
- Payment must accompany all orders. Incomplete orders will not be processed.
- You are responsible for ensuring that the correct mailing address is submitted. Please review your request prior to submission to avoid additional charges.
Delivery: Regular Mail (Canada Post) versus Courier (UPS)
- Regular mail costs are included in the cost of the transcript.
- York University is not responsible for transcripts lost or delayed in the mail. Make sure you check your destination address before you submit your request to avoid re-ordering your transcript and incurring another charge.
- Courier charges are calculated automatically, when requested.
The fees are as follows:
- Canadian destinations: $35
- US destinations: $50
- International destinations: $100
- Transcripts cannot be couriered to a post office box.
Online Orders (Fastest)
- Post-1982 undergraduate or post-2006 graduate transcripts ordered online typically take 1 to 2 business days to process.
Paper Request Form
- Transcripts ordered via the Transcript Request Form take 5 to 10 business days to process after the form is received.
Important Information About Processing Times
- Timelines are usually met throughout the year; however, transcript orders may take longer during peak periods: May/June and September to January. Please plan accordingly.
- It may take some time for your transcripts to be received and processed at its destination address. When checking to see if your transcript has arrived at its destination, remember to ask how long it takes to process the receipt of mail before you assume it has not already arrived.
- The Registrar's Office cannot be responsible for transcripts lost or delayed in the mail.
Timing Your Transcript Request Correctly
- Make sure that you request your transcript when you need it and not before.
- Check your online grade report (fall/winter - summer) to make sure all the information you need is on your transcript including any expected grades, grade changes or petition results.
- If you choose to have your transcript produced "Immediately" before all your grades are released or before your degree has been conferred, your transcript may not satisfy its recipient and you will be responsible for the charges associated with re-ordering another transcript.
- If you request to have your transcript produced after grades are released (i.e. on hold), please note that, even though all your grades may have been incrementally added to your record, your transcript will not be released until mid January for fall term grades, mid May for winter term grades and mid September for summer term grades.
- Grades for students from Osgoode Hall Law School and the Faculty of Education are traditionally released later than other Faculties. Students from these Faculties who request to hold their transcript request until grades are released, should select their appropriate Faculty from the delivery date drop-down menu (online request) or checkbox (paper request form).
- If you are planning to graduate and require your transcript to reflect that your degree has been conferred, please refer to the timelines before submitting your request to ensure that your degree conferral will appear on your transcript.
Graduate and Undergraduate Transcripts
- An Academic Transcript is a comprehensive summary of all academic milestones completed at York University. Graduate students should note that transcripts will include all graduate and undergraduate studies completed at York.
Transcripts “Issued to Student"
- Transcripts “Issued to Student” are stamped as such and placed in a sealed envelope.
- Third parties may not accept these transcripts for official purposes. Check with your intended recipient before ordering your transcript. Most transcripts created for official purposes are sent directly from York to the third party.
- If you request a transcript “Issued to Student” and your third party does not accept it, you are responsible for a new chargeable transcript order.
- Multiple “Issued to Student” transcripts being mailed to your home or on-campus address will arrive in separately sealed envelopes.
- Please submit a separate request for each mailing address where you want the transcript sent.
- Multiple copies of transcripts being sent to a single third party address are mailed in one envelope. They are not separately sealed.
- Multiple “Issued to Student” copies being mailed to your home or on-campus address will arrive in separately sealed envelopes.
Outstanding Fees or Fines
- In accordance with Senate policy, transcripts will not be issued to a student who has an outstanding financial account with the University.
Documents to Accompany Your Transcript
- If you have a form or document that must accompany your transcript, note that there is an additional $25 fee. Please make sure to submit your document to email@example.com.