Frequently Asked Questions

What are York University's residency requirements?

All York University undergraduate students must fulfill York's residency requirement, which means that at least 30 credits must be taken at York University. Faculties also have an in-Faculty requirement. Students should look at the Undergraduate Calendar for further information.

What are pass/fail courses?

If you are an undergraduate student who has passed 24 credits and you are in good academic standing, you may be eligible to take a limited number of courses toward your degree on an ungraded basis. There are a number of additional Faculty-specific regulations that must be met for you to be eligible to take a course or courses on an ungraded basis. Instead of a final grade, you will either receive a pass or a fail for the course, which will appear on both your grade report and your transcript. Neither the pass nor the fail is calculated into your grade point average. If you want to take a course on a pass/fail basis, you need to complete the Pass/Fail Option Application form during the first two weeks of classes for the course.

To check the pass/fail regulations in your home Faculty, go to this Calendar website.

To learn more about the Pass/Fail Option and to download the form, go to the Pass/Fail Option web page.

What is the difference between cumulative grade point average and
overall grade point average?

Cumulative grade point average and overall grade point average are the same thing. In the degree progress report it is called the overall cumulative grade point average.

Are the grades showing in the degree progress report official?

The grades which are showing in the degree progress report are official final grades.

I repeated a course. How will that be reflected on my report?

When courses are repeated, York University's academic regulation is that only the grade and credit value of the second attempt is your grade of record. Twice a year -- once in April for fall/winter courses and once in August for summer courses -- the Registrar's Office reviews all repeated courses to ensure only the second grade is counted. Once the repeated courses process is complete, the grade on all attempts other than your second attempt will be marked as "NCR" . Also your GPA as well as credits earned will reflect only the credits and grade of the second attempt. During the session, until we process our repeated courses updates, the credits and GPA should not be considered final. Once you see the "NCR" on the repeated course in the grades section, this means that all updates have been completed and your report has been adjusted accordingly.

For more information about the repeated courses policy, see the Senate policy. Please consult with your Faculty's Advising Office if you have questions.

How do I know what courses are considered approved?

If a requirement states that an approved course is needed, students must contact the appropriate department for a list of the approved courses.

What are general education courses?

General education courses are courses which provide a broad interdisciplinary perspective, in addition to courses which focus on a specific subject. Students must consult with their Faculty for general education requirements that are specific to their Faculty and degree. Please see the Glossary of Terms for a more detailed description of general education courses.

What are courses outside the major (known as "electives" prior to FW12)?

Credits outside the major (known as "electives" prior to FW12) are courses which are intended to broaden the educational experience of students beyond their area of specialization. Credits outside the major include most courses which are not used to fulfill the general education requirements or major/minor requirements.

Courses not considered to be credits outside the major are:

  • Major/minor courses taken above the required number;
  • Non-major/minor courses taken within the major/minor subject;
  • Courses outside the major/minor taken to fulfill major/minor requirements;
  • Courses which are cross-listed or designated as course substitutes to courses offered by the major/minor program.
What is a foundations course?

Foundations courses are 1000- and 2000-level nine-credit courses offered by the Division of Humanities and Division of Social Science in the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies. Foundations courses are part of the general education requirement.

What is the difference between a satisfied, potentially satisfied or not yet satisfied requirement?

These are the combination of results that appear in the degree progress report.


When a student passes a course or a number of courses that are specifically required as part of a particular degree, then the course or courses will show the final grade and are considered to be completed. When the course or all of the courses have been completed, the result is that that particular requirement of the degree program has been fully satisfied.

(in progress)......................Potentially Satisfied

If a student is currently enrolled in a course or courses that are part of a degree requirement, the course or courses will show as in progress and the result will be that that requirement is potentially satisfied.

Still required........................Not yet satisfied

If a student has not passed a course or courses that are part of a degree requirement, or has not yet enrolled in the course or courses, they will show as still required and the result will show that that requirement is not yet satisfied.

What is meant by declared subject?

Declared subject 1 is the student's major. Declared subject 2 is the student's second major in a double major program, or the minor in a major/minor program.

What grade point average do I need to stay in an Honours program?

Students who have completed less than 84 earned credits and are in year levels one, two or three, and whose overall cumulative grade point average is below 5.00, may continue in an Honours degree program provided they meet the year level progression requirements as follows:

Year 1 0-23 earned credits Minimum cumulative grade point average 4.00
Year 2 24-53 earned credits Minimum cumulative grade point average 4.25
Year 3 54-83 earned credits Minimum cumulative grade point average 4.80
Year 4 84 earned credits or greater Minimum cumulative grade point average 5.00
Note: Some programs may require a higher minimum cumulative grade point average. Please check the Undergraduate Calendar for the requirements of the program you are in.
Why do some of my credits taken appear on the degree progress report more than once?

When you look at the degree progress report, it may appear that you have successfully completed more credits than you actually have. This is because a completed course may fulfill more than one requirement of your degree. Therefore, the same course may be shown twice as it fulfills two different degree requirements. However, when you are trying to determine the number of total credits you have taken, you can only count the credits for that course once.

In the report, when I look in the box of a still required credit, why do some of
the courses have dates following them?

Some courses will only satisfy degree requirements if they are taken within a specific session. The dates following a course indicate which sessions of a course will count towards satisfying the degree requirement. (If there are no years listed, the course will always count towards that requirement.) For example, AS/PSYC 3510D 3.00 [1999FW until 2001FW] is a course which will satisfy the degree requirement only if you successfully completed the course at any time from the Fall/Winter 1999-2000 Session until the Fall/Winter 2001-2002 Session. If you took the course during the Fall/Winter 2001-2002 Session it would not satisfy this degree requirement.

Note: Academic years run from September to August. So, if you see a summer start or end date, remember that it's not the same as the calendar year. For example, 2007SU actually means a course taken during the Summer 2008 academic session.

I've changed my program; why can I no longer see my degree progress report?

The implementation of the degree progress report by program and Faculty is being staged over time to allow for appropriate review and testing. If you change your degree or major and your new major is not yet available on the report, please check back frequently to see if your new degree program is to be implemented in the near future. As soon as it is available you will receive an e-mail from your Faculty.

At this time, the degree progress report is being implemented for single major degree studies only. Other options such as double majors and major/minors may be considered in the future. If you have questions about your degree requirements, please visit your Faculty advising centre.

My program is listed as having a degree progress report available. Why can't I see it?

If your particular program is not available, you will receive a message when signing in to the tool. If your program is listed as available and you still cannot see your report, it may be due to one or more of the following reasons:

  • You may have entered the program in a year that has not yet been coded; note that because degree requirements may change from year to year, the coding may not have yet been completed for the year you started the program. This may be the case of you have just started in your program.
  • You are a new student and the report is not yet available; you must have enrolled in at least one course for your degree in order to receive a degree progress report or if you have recently changed programs, the program change may not have yet been fully completed in the student information system.
  • You have transfer credit and the Faculty has decided to suppress your report. Faculties and programs have the option of suppressing reports for students who have transfer credit if they believe that the report would be too incomplete to be useful. If this is the case, please make an appointment with your Faculty advising centre.

If you do not fall into one of the above groups and you believe you should be able to access your report, please e-mail with your full name, student number and current program of study.