Undergraduate courses are graded according to the following scale. The numerical grade point values are used to compute averages.
F NGR (No Grade Reported) - A grade of F with a qualifier of NGR (No Grade Reported) indicates that the instructor did not report a grade.
NCR (No Credit Retained) - The course does not count towards satisfaction of academic degree or certificate credit requirements and is not included in grade point averages (major, cumulative, sessional and overall).
Academic Standing Requirements -
- Students admitted to the School of the Arts, Media, Performance & Design prior to 1999-2000 are required to maintain a major grade point average of at least 5.00 and an overall grade point average of at least 4.00 to continue in and graduate with an Honours degree.
- Students admitted to the School of the Arts, Media, Performance & Design beginning in 1999-2000 are required to maintain a major grade point average of at least 5.00 and an overall grade point average of at least 5.00 to continue in and graduate with an Honours degree.
Continuing in Honours - Students may proceed in an Honours program provided they meet the year level progression requirements set out below:
|Year Level||Credits Completed||Major Grade Point Average Requirement||Cumulative Overall Grade Point Average|
|1||Fewer than 24 credits||5.00||4.00|
|2||24 to 53 credits||5.00||4.25|
|3||54 to 83 credits||5.00||4.80|
|4||84 credits or greater||5.00||5.00|
Transferring from an Honours Program to a BA Program - Students whose overall and/or major GPAs fall below the requirements listed above may continue their studies only in a BA degree program. Honours BA students will automatically be placed in the BA program. Honours BFA students must fill out a Program Change Request if they wish to continue their studies.
Required Withdrawal - Students with the academic decision "Required to Withdraw for One Year" or "Debarred for Two Years" will not be able to enrol in courses for the fall/winter session. You should refer to the Undergraduate Calendar for information regarding Academic Penalties in the School of the Arts, Media, Performance & Design.
Decision Pending - This phrase means that no final decision on academic status can be made until all outstanding grades have been received.
Dean’s Honour Roll - It recognizes the academic achievements of the following:
- Students who have taken 12 to 17 credits in a given session, who have achieved a sessional overall grade point average of 8.00 or higher.
- Students who have taken 18 or more credits in a given session, who have achieved a sessional overall grade point average of 7.50 or higher.
- Graduating students who have achieved overall and major grade point averages of
7.00 or higher.
Graduation Honours - Students with the following grade point averages, both in their major discipline and overall, will have their degrees classified as follows for Honours BA, Honours BFA and Honours BDes:
- 7.50 - cum laude
- 7.80 - magna cum laude
- 8.00 - summa cum laude
Program Changes - Changes of degree, major and/or minor within the School of the Arts, Media, Performance & Design must be approved by the new department.
Questions or Concerns? All enquiries about course grades should be directed to the academic unit responsible for the course. Requests for grade reappraisal must be made in writing within three weeks of the release of grade reports. Students who believe that a reported grade is incorrect should first consult the course director. Questions about academic status, petitions and similar matters may be directed to School of the Arts, Media, Performance & Design Office of Student and Academic Services.
Connect with the Division of Students