Apply for Non-Degree Status

If you have already completed a degree at York University and would like to apply for non-degree status so that you can enrol in undergraduate courses but not towards a degree or certificate program, please read the information below. If you want to return to York to pursue a second degree or certificate program, please contact the Office of Admissions directly.

If you have not yet graduated, have been away from York and did not enrol/register in the most recent fall/winter session, you must reactivate your academic record before you can return to your studies. Please read the information on the Reactivation page.

If you are a current student, considering changing your major, degree program or Faculty, please read the information on the Program Change page.

If you are unclear on any of the terminology used in this process, please read our Glossary of Terms page. You cannot apply for a new Non-Degree Status.

Step 1. General Information
  • The online request for non-degree status tool requires you to have a Passport York account. If you came to York on or after 1982 and are having difficulties signing-in, follow the instructions on the Passport York login page. If you last came to York before 1982, please contact Registrarial Services for assistance.
  • Non-degree students will normally be admitted to the Faculty from which they graduated. Graduates from the former Faculties of Arts and Atkinson will be admitted to the new Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies (LA&PS). Graduates from the Faculties of Education, Graduate Studies, Osgoode Hall Law School and the Schulich School of Business will also be admitted to LA&PS.
  • Graduates from the Faculty of Graduate Studies requesting to enroll in graduate-level courses on a non-degree basis must reapply though the Office of Admissions. MBA and MPA graduates, who want to take a masters-level course as a non-degree candidate or apply to the post-MBA diploma program, should apply through Schulich's Office of Student Services and International Relations.
Step 2. Timelines
  • You can submit Non-Degree Status request starting from January 1 for summer session and March 1 for fall/winter session. Requests submitted by February 1 for the summer session or May 1 for the fall/winter session will normally be processed by the beginning of the enrolment period for the relevant session. Requests submitted after these dates will be processed as soon as possible, but there is no guarantee that they will be processed before the enrolment period or the beginning of classes.
  • Non-degree requests will not be accepted after the last day to enrol in the term without the permission of the course instructor(s); for details, visit the Important Dates section of this website.
Step 3. Restrictions
  • Due to limited enrolment space, approval of your request is not guaranteed. If your requested Faculty is no longer accepting applications for non-degree status, you may apply for another session.
  • If you have an outstanding debt, you may reactivate your student record but may be blocked from enrolling in courses until you clear your debt.
Step 4. Apply for Non-Degree Status

How do I check the status of my request after I submit it?

  • You can check the status of your request for non-degree at any time by signing-in to the online tool below.
  • If you have a request that is still pending and you want to submit a new request, you must first cancel your pending request.
  • If your change has been completed, you will see your new program on the drop-down menu of available programs in the online enrolment system the next time you enrol.