The sessional dates for the Fall/Winter 2020-2021 Session are below. Please note that these dates do not apply to the following:
- Students enrolled in Osgoode Hall Law School: these students should refer to the Osgoode Hall Law School website for important dates information.
- Students enrolled in a Faculty of Graduate Studies program (e.g. MA, PhD etc.): these students should refer to the Faculty of Graduate Studies website for important dates information.
- Students enrolled in a Schulich School of Business graduate program (e.g. MBA, IMBA etc.): these students should refer to the Schulich School of Business website for important dates information.
Religious holidays may fall during the first week of classes, during mid-terms or official examination periods; make sure that you are aware of the Senate policies on religious observance and religious accommodation guidelines and religious observance dates, as well as statutory dates for the academic year.
Important Dates for Fall (F), Year (Y) and Winter (W) Terms
|Classes start||Sept. 9||Sept. 9||Jan. 11|
|Last date to announce components of final grades||Sept. 23||Sept. 23||Jan. 25|
|Fall Reading Week1||Oct. 10-16||Oct. 10-16|
|Last date to submit Fall term work||Dec. 9||Dec. 9|
|Fall classes end||Dec. 8||Dec. 8|
|Fall Study Day2||Dec. 9||Dec. 9|
|Fall examinations3||Dec. 9-23||Dec. 9-23|
|Winter Reading Week1||Feb. 13-19||Feb. 13-19|
|Last date to submit Winter term work||April 13||April 13|
|Winter classes end4||April 12||April 12|
|Winter Study Days2||April 13||April 13|
|Winter examinations5||April 14-28||April 14-28|
|Last date to add a course without permission of instructor (also see Financial Deadlines)||Sept. 22||Sept. 22||Jan. 25|
|Last date to add a course with permission of instructor (also see Financial Deadlines)||Oct. 6||Oct. 27||Feb. 8|
|Drop deadline: Last date to drop a course without receiving a grade (also see Financial Deadlines)||Nov. 6||Feb. 5||March 12|
|Course Withdrawal Period (withdraw from a course and receive a grade of “W” on transcript – see note below)||Nov. 7 - Dec. 8||Feb. 6 - April 12||March 13 - April 12|
* Add and Drop Deadline Information
There are deadlines for adding and dropping courses, both academic and financial. Since, for the most part, the dates are different, be sure to read the information carefully so that you understand the differences between the sessional dates below and the Refund Tables.
You are strongly advised to pay close attention to the "Last date to enrol without permission of course instructor" deadlines. These deadlines represent the last date students have unrestricted access to the registration and enrolment system.
After that date, you must contact the professor/department offering the course to arrange permission.
You can drop courses using the registration and enrolment system up until the last date to drop a course without receiving a grade (drop deadline).
You may withdraw from a course using the registration and enrolment system after the drop deadline until the last day of class for the term associated with the course. When you withdraw from a course, the course remains on your transcript without a grade and is notated as 'W'. The withdrawal will not affect your grade point average or count towards the credits required for your degree.
|Event||February 2021||June 2021||October 2021|
|Deadline to apply to graduate||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|Labour Day - University closed||Sept. 7||Sept. 7|
|Thanksgiving Day - University closed||Oct. 12||Oct. 12|
|Winter break - University closed||TBD||TBD|
|Family Day - University closed||Feb. 15||Feb. 15|
|Good Friday - University closed||April 2||April 2|
|Last date to
add a course
|Last date to
add a course
|Last date to drop
|A||SB||Sep. 14||Sep. 18||Sep. 25||Oct. 9||Oct. 26|
|B1||ED||Aug. 4||Aug. 21||Aug. 28||Sep. 18||Dec. 20|
|B2||ED||Aug. 4||Aug. 21||Aug. 28||Nov. 16||April 30|
|B3||ED||Aug. 4||Sep. 11||Sep. 18||Oct. 9||Dec. 20|
|B4||ED||Jan. 4||Jan. 8||Jan. 15||Feb. 12||April 30|
|B5||ED||Aug. 4||Sep. 11||Sep. 18||Nov. 16||April 30|
|C||SB||Jan. 11||Jan. 15||Jan. 22||Feb. 5||Feb. 22|
|E1||GS||Aug. 1||Aug. 6||Aug. 10||Aug. 21||Sep. 1|
|EF||SB||Sep. 18||Sep. 18||Sep. 21||Sep. 21||Dec. 15|
|ER||SB||Jan. 15||Jan. 20||Jan. 20||Jan. 20||Jan. 22|
|EW||SB||Feb. 5||Feb. 5||Feb. 5||Feb. 5||April 11|
|EY||SB||Sep. 18||Oct. 2||Oct. 16||Oct. 30||June 8|
|FA||ED||Sep. 9||Sep. 15||Sep. 15||Sep. 23||Oct. 27|
|FB||ED||Oct. 28||Nov. 4||Nov. 4||Nov. 20||Dec. 8|
|F2||SB||Sep. 14||Sep. 18||Sep. 25||Nov. 13||Oct. 27-30||Dec. 11|
|F3||SB||Sep. 9||Sep. 16||Sep. 23||Nov. 6||Oct. 10-16||Dec. 8|
|FP||SB||Sep. 19||Sep. 25||Oct. 2||Nov. 13||Oct. 27-30||Nov. 29|
|FW||ED||Aug. 31||Sep. 17||Sep. 24||Oct. 29||April 16|
|M||SB||Nov. 2||Nov. 6||Nov. 13||Nov. 27||Dec. 11|
|N||SB||March 1||March 5||March 12||March 26||April 12|
|NF||HH||Sep. 9||Sep. 9||Sep. 9||Sep. 9||Dec. 8|
|NR||HH||Aug. 31||Aug. 31||Aug. 31||Aug. 31||Dec. 8|
|NW||HH||Jan. 11||Jan. 11||Jan. 11||Jan. 11||April 12|
|O3||EU||Feb. 10||Feb. 14||Feb. 14||Feb. 17||March 13|
|WA||ED||Jan. 11||Jan. 17||Jan. 17||Jan. 25||Feb. 26|
|WB||ED||March 1||March 8||March 8||March 16||April 12|
|W2||SB||Jan. 11||Jan. 15||Jan. 22||Mar. 12||Feb. 23-26||April 12|
|W3||SB||Jan. 11||Jan. 15||Jan. 22||March 5||Feb. 13-19||April 12|
|WP||SB||Jan. 23||Jan. 29||Feb. 5||March 19||Feb. 23-26||April 4|
|WS||AP, GL, GS, LE, SC||Jan. 11||Jan. 25||March 1||May 7||Feb. 13-19||Aug. 10|
|Z1||SB||Sep. 14||Sep. 27||Oct. 11||Feb. 5||Oct. 27-30; Feb. 23-26||April 12|
|Z2||SB||Jan. 11||Jan. 15||Jan. 22||Mar. 9||July 30|
- There are designated Reading Weeks in the Fall and Winter terms during which classes, examinations and tests will not be held. The University itself will be open and administrative services available.
- The Dec. 9, 2020 and April 13, 2021 study days are in compliance of the Senate Policy requiring a day off prior to the start of exams.
- Important: It is your responsibility as a student to ensure that you are available to sit for examinations during the entire exam period for the term corresponding to your course. We strongly recommend that you do not make any travel arrangements prior to the end of the term's examination schedule.
- The Winter classes end on April 12 which will be a make-up Friday for Good Friday on April 2. The final Monday meet will be held on April 5.
- Important: It is your responsibility as a student to ensure that your are available to sit for examinations during the entire exam period for the term corresponding to your course. We strongly recommend that you do not make any travel arrangements prior to the end of the term's examination schedule.
Please note: To mitigate the low number of available days for December official exams, the study day will not be University wide. Scheduling will ensure that students with scheduled classes on December 8 are not scheduled for exams on the first day of the examination session. This schedule was set prior to the COVID-19 pandemic and remains applicable for the 2020-2021 academic year.