Reactivation - Return to York!

If you are returning to York to complete your degree (If you did not enrol in courses in the last fall/winter session) you must reactivate your record. Please follow the steps below to reactivate your record.

If you have already completed a degree at York and would like to apply for non-degree status so that you can enrol in undergraduate courses but not towards a degree or certificate program, please read the information on the Non-Degree page.

If you want to return to York to pursue a second degree or certificate program, please complete a York University application through the Office of Admissions.

If you are a current student, considering changing your major, degree program or Faculty, please read the information on the Program Change page.

If you are unclear on any of the terminology used in this process, please read our Glossary of Terms page.

  • Step 1.
    General Information
  • The online reactivation tool requires you to have a Passport York account. If you came to York on or after 1982 and are having difficulties signing-in, follow the instructions on the Passport York login page. If you last came to York before 1982, please contact Registrarial Services for assistance.

    Submission deadlines

    • You can submit Reactivation (return to last academic program) request starting from Jan 1 for Summer Session and March 1 for Fall/Winter Session. If you are submitting Reactivation with Faculty Transfer or Degree Change (different academic program), you can do so for fall/winter session only by following the timelines on the Program Change page. Requests submitted by February 1 for the summer session or May 1 for the fall/winter session will normally be processed by the beginning of the enrolment period for the relevant session. Requests submitted after these dates will be processed as soon as possible, but there is no guarantee that they will be processed before the enrolment period or the beginning of classes.
    • Reactivation requests will not be accepted after the last day to enrol in the term without permission of the instructor(s); for details, visit the Important Dates section of this website.
    • Reactivation requests can take up to four weeks to process.

    Courses Completed Elsewhere

    • If you completed courses at any other postsecondary institution since you were last at York without a Letter of Permission from York, request a reassessment of your current non-York credits. For a quick review, please ensure your official transcript(s) have been submitted and received by the Office of the University Registrar prior to completing this request.
    • If you completed courses at any other university while on a Letter of Permission from York, you must arrange for official transcripts to be sent directly to the Office of the University Registrar as soon as possible.
    • You can search the ONTransfer database to see if there are some potential credits that you may get from York for courses taken at another institution.


    • Students who were debarred or who failed to gain standing are not eligible for reactivation. Please reapply through the Office of Admissions directly.
    • Students will not be reactivated to a program that is no longer offered; you will be required to choose an alternate program of study.
    • Due to limited enrolment space and Faculty-specific requirements, approval of your reactivation request is not guaranteed. Certain programs have earlier deadlines for new transfers than others. If your requested program is no longer accepting reactivations for the session you want, you may apply for another future re-entry point.
    • If you have an outstanding debt, you may reactivate your academic record, but you will be blocked from enrolling.

    Changing Your Program While Reactivating

    • If you are considering changing your major, degree program or Faculty while reactivating your record, it is very important that you understand the information regarding eligibility and timelines on the Program Change page.

    Information for Former Arts and Atkinson Students

    Information for Pre-2006 Psychology, Nursing, Health Studies and Kinesiology Students

    • Be advised that your program has moved to the Faculty of Health. For more information about how this may affect your degree requirements, contact the Faculty's Advising Office.
  • Step 2.
    Frequently Asked Questions
  • When do classes start and end?
    Sessional dates are available in the Important Dates section of this website.

    What information is available to help me enrol in my courses?
    For detailed instructions, enrolment dates and available courses, visit the Enrolment Guide section of this website.

    Money is tight; is there any financial assistance available?
    Yes, visit the Student Financial Services website for detailed information.

    How much is tuition going to be?
    Your fees depend on how many courses you enrol in, the program and the time you have been away from York. Visit the Fees section of the Student Financial Services website for more information on how fees are calculated and the different fee scenarios.

    How do I register and when do I have to pay my tuition?
    You can enrol in courses as soon as your reactivation request is approved. There is no registration deposit required. Your fees will be due at the start of the session, and payment should be made through your bank. For detailed information on how to pay and fee payment due dates, please visit the How & When to Pay web page.

    I am an international student and require a letter for Citizenship and Immigration Canada for my Student Authorization; is such a letter available?
    Yes, however, you must first reactivate your academic record. Once you become a registered active student (have enrolled in courses and paid the registration deposit) for the upcoming academic session, you may request a confirmation letter.

    Important: if Citizenship and Immigration Canada does not approve you for study at York, it is your responsibility to de-enrol yourself from your courses before the tuition refund deadline; otherwise, you will be required to pay the full fees. Non-attendance of courses does not constitute withdrawal from the University. Visit the Refunds section of the Student Financial Services website for more information.

    Where should I go if I have more questions?
    Use the online “Ask a Student Services Expert” tool available on the Current Students website.

  • Step 3.
    Reactivate Academic Record
  • How do I check the status of my request after I submit it?

    • You can check the status of your reactivation request at any time by signing-in to the online request tool below. There, you may see that your request has been either:
      • Received.
      • Pending a decision/action (e.g. approval of program).
      • Denied because you did not satisfy the eligibility requirements or the program is no longer accepting reactivations.
      • Approved. Note: some requests require follow-up action.
    • If you have a request that is still pending and you want to submit a new request, you must first cancel your pending request.
    • If your change has been completed, you will see your new program on the drop-down menu of available programs in the online enrolment system the next time you enrol.

    If you experienced any problems using this online request tool, please contact