International Student Information

  • Government Regulations
  • Under the regulations of the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, some categories of international students may be eligible for exemption from the international student fee rate.

    The domestic or international fee status is determined by the information you provided on your application for admission regarding your status in Canada. You may be required to provide documentation to the Registrar's Office to verify your eligibility for domestic fees. To get to the information about the Ontario government's domestic and international fee rates, follow the steps below:

    1. Click on the Undergraduate Calendar link.
    2. In the list of calendars available, choose the most recent one and click on it.
    3. In the gray panel on the left, click on Financial Information.
    4. Click on Academic Tuition Fee Categories.

    If your fees have been incorrectly assessed or if your status has changed from international to domestic, you must contact Registrarial Services to clarify your situation.

  • York Regulations
  • Apart from government regulations regarding status of international students, York University provides its own regulations concerning employment, registration, UHIP etc. They are explained in the sections below.


    Full-time international and exchange students with a valid study permit are eligible to work on campus, and the Off-Campus Work Permit Program allows international students to apply to work off-campus. Information on employment, getting a Social Insurance Number (SIN), and Canadian income tax can be found on the York International website. For further questions, contact York International, 200 York Lanes, telephone: 416-736-5177, e-mail:

    Request a Letter

    If you need a letter:

    • for immigration purposes to certify that you are enrolled and registered in the current session;
    • to confirm your eligibility to return once final grades are officially released,

    go to the Request a Letter page and download the proper form.

    Mandatory University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) for International Students and Other Non-Residents

    International students and other non-resident students*, and their eligible dependents, are covered by the university health insurance plan (UHIP) once they become registered at York. UHIP is mandatory. Students pay their premium to student accounts in addition to academic fees. The premium cost is based on length of coverage and number of dependents. To receive proof of coverage, students must apply to York International, 200 York Lanes, at the beginning of each academic year. For further important details, please visit the UHIP website, call 416-736-5028 or e-mail

    * Examples of non-resident students include exchange students and permanent residents in the OHIP waiting period.