Academic Standing - Students who have a cumulative grade point average below 4.00 with the academic decision of Academic Warning, Debarment Warning, Probation or Withdrawal are strongly encouraged to make an advising appointment with the Undergraduate Program Adviser. Contact the Office of Student Academic Services by e-mail at email@example.com to book an appointment.
Note: for detailed information on Academic Warnings, Probation and Withdrawal please see the Undergraduate Handbook.
Continuing in Honours - Students whose cumulative grade point averages fall below 5.00 (C+) during the course of their studies may proceed in an Honours program, on warning, provided that they meet the year level progression requirements set out below:
|Year Level||Credits Completed||Cumulative Grade Point Average|
|1||Fewer than 24 credits||4.00|
|2||24 to 53 credits||4.25|
|3||54 to 83 credits||4.80|
|4||84 to 120 credits||5.00|
F NGR (No Grade Reported) - A grade of F with a qualifier of NGR (No Grade Reported) has been assigned to the student's record because the instructor did not report a grade. Contact the appropriate course director for follow-up.
NCR (No Credit Retained) - The course does not count towards satisfaction of academic degree or certificate credit requirements and is not included in grade point averages (major, cumulative, sessional and overall).
Decision Pending/Deferred Standing Granted - These statements mean that no final academic decision can be made on the student’s academic status until all outstanding course(s) work is submitted and outstanding grades have been received.
May Proceed Only in BES - The overall grade point average is below the minimum requirement listed above for the Honours BES and as such, students can only continue their studies in the bachelor’s program (90 credits).
Dean's Honour Roll - This statement recognizes a student's academic achievements in a given session based on the following standing:
- students enrolled in 18 credits in a given session and achieved a sessional GPA of 7.50 with an overall GPA of 5.00
- students enrolled in 12 credits in a given session and achieved a sessional GPA of 8.00 with an overall GPA of 5.00
Graduation Honours - Students who meet their degree program requirements and achieve a high cumulative GPA will receive the following distinctions:
Honours BES Degree:
- Summa Cum Laude: member of the Dean's Graduating Honour Roll. Overall GPA of 8.00 or higher on 120 credits.
- Magna Cum Laude: member of the Dean's Graduating Honour Roll. Overall GPA of 7.80 - 7.99 on 120 credits.
- Cum Laude: member of the Dean's Graduating Honour Roll. Overall GPA of 7.50 - 7.79 on 120 credits.
- Dean's Sessional Graduating Honour Roll: sessional GPA of 8.00 on 12 credits or a sessional GPA of 7.50 on 18 credits.
- Dean's Graduating Honour Roll: overall GPA of 7.00 on 120 credits.
- With Distinction: cumulative grade point average of 8.00 or above.
- With Merit: cumulative grade point average of 7.50 - 7.99.
- Dean’s Graduating Honour Roll: cumulative grade point average of 7.00 - 7.49.
- Dean’s Sessional Honour Roll: sessional grade point average of 8.00 on 12 credits or sessional cumulative grade point average of 7.50 on 18 credits.
Advising Blocked - All students are required to attend an advising appointment with the academic adviser prior to their enrolment access time for the fall/winter session. The purpose of the advising is to complete the BES Program Checklist and to clear the advising block before students can access the University’s Registration and Enrolment Module (REM). Each student is required to fill out a Program Checklist which is available from either the Undergraduate Program Office (137 HNES) or from the FES website. You must contact the Office of Student Academic Services by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to book an appointment.
Questions? If you have questions or concerns about your grade report or academic status, please contact the BES Program Adviser.